Welcome to the College Planning page! Access the various resources below:
- Preparing for College
- Resources for Choosing a College
- Direct Applications: Institutional applications completed for individual colleges/universities.
- Financial Aid
Preparing for College
Preparing for college begins in middle school and continues all the way to high school graduation. Talk with your teachers, dean and family about what courses are best for you, where you might want to attend, and what you want to do as a career.
Check out this helpful resource:
Check out this useful platform for all things college planning! This site has unlimited free resources for writing a college essay, college application assistance, college search tools, free online course videos, and more! There are numerous tips and tricks for how to make the college application process as easy and less stressful as possible:
- Click on 'Student'
- Click on 'Continue with Single Sign-On' (be sure you are logged into your school google account)
- Click on 'Colleges' at the top of the page
- Click on 'SuperMatch College Search' under 'Find Your Fit'
The Common Application is a single online college application form used by over 900 colleges and universities. Instead of filling out the same general information—like your address, GPA, and extracurriculars— a dozen times, you only have to do it once.
Refer to this Application Guide for step-by-step instructions on how to complete your application.
Information you will need to complete your Common App:
- Mounds View High School
- 1900 Lake Valentine Rd
- Arden Hills, MN 55112
- CEEB Code 241805
- If you are taking any classes that you are also receiving college credit for (i.e. ARCC or CIS) you will list those institutions in the Education section under Colleges and Universities. Mark them as Dual Enrollment. Any online courses you are taking will be listed on your MVHS transcript and do not need to be listed as a separate school.
- 2023 Class Size = 441
- Class Rank = None
- GPA Scale Reporting = 4
- GPA Weighting = Weighted
- You must sign the FERPA Release Authorization so that your Common App and Naviance accounts can be linked. You can find this on the My Colleges Tab once you've added a college to your list.
- Recommenders - you will make all of your letter of recommendation requests via NAVIANCE, not CA, with a few exceptions.
Questbridge is a powerful platform that connects the nation's brightest students from low-income backgrounds with leading institutions of higher education and further opportunities.
FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
Before each year of college, apply for federal grants, work-study, and loans with the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. Your college uses your FAFSA data to determine your federal aid eligibility. Many states and colleges use FAFSA data to award their own aid. After submission, you'll receive your Student Aid Report (SAR)
Federal and State Grants
Federal and state governments provide grants for students attending college or career school. Most types of grants, unlike loans, are sources of free money that generally do not have to be repaid.
Paying for College and Financial Aid Resources
Federal Student Aid - An Office of the U.S. Department of Education
Minnesota Office of Higher Education - A cabinet-level state agency providing students with financial aid programs and information to help them gain access to post-secondary education.
Mounds View Public Schools has established a long-standing tradition of working with community businesses and organizations to provide local scholarships to graduating seniors. The scholarship program is aimed at reinforcing the District's Equity Promise of supporting all students in achieving their post-secondary goals, whether at a two-year college or a four-year college or university.
Scholarship Search Engines
PFund Foundation - Scholarship for LGBTQ Individuals
Minnesota Scholarship Directory - a list of 100+ vetted scholarships for students across the state, broken down by month.
Naviance Scholarship Search
Naviance provides students with comprehensive scholarship lists and national scholarship search tools. Students can find these scholarship search function under their "Colleges" profile tools.